Thursday, February 23, 2012

CHAMPS

CHAMPS is a classroom management technique used at my school. It sets expectations for students for various activities. CHAMPS stand for
Conversation: Can students talk to each other during this activity?
Help: How do students get the teacher's attention and their questions answered?
Activity: What is the task/objective? What is the end product?
Movement: Can students move about during this activity?
Participation: How do students show they are fully participating? What does work behavior look/sound like?
Success: When students meet CHAMPS expectations, they will be successful!
 I changed it up a little bit for my own classroom. For my class, CHAMPS set expectations for
Conversation
Help
Activity
Movement
Post-Activity (What should students do with their assignment when they are finished?)
Supplies (What supplies are needed for this activity?)
I have a CHAMPS board on display in my room. Prior to each activity, I explain the expectations and update the CHAMPS board. Because I do this regularly, my students will remind me if I forget. It really helps them to have a visual reminder.

Jealous of my ugly brown paneling? Of course you are...

So all I have to do is change the strip for that expectation.

The conversation level can be:
  • No Talking
  • Whisper
  • Low Voices

To get help, it may say
  • Ask group then raise hand
  • Raise hand
  • Kidney Table (which is where students go for small groups)

The activity might be
  • Individual work
  • Group work
  • Partners
  • Lab
  • Test / Quiz

Movement options are
  • Stay in your seat
  • Stay in your group
  • Trashcan and pencil sharpener
  • Move around

When students are done with their work, they will
  • Keep it
  • Turn it in to the Inbox
  • Other (I may have some other place I want them to put their work)

Supplies lets students know if they are using
  • Pen
  • Pencil
  • Red Pen
  • Supply Boxes (markers, color pencils, etc)
  • Glue / Scissors
  • Book
  • Journal
So if a student asks what to do with their paper, I simply say, "What does CHAMPS say?"
If a student asks if they are supposed to write in pen or pencil (this was for my 5th graders), I say, "What does CHAMPS say?"
After a while, they get the point. Sometimes they'll start to ask me, then turn around and look at the board, because they know that's what I'm going to tell them to do. :-)

Next to my CHAMPS board is a door where I tell students what they are allowed to do when they are finished with their work. I printed out signs, laminated them, and put magnetic tape on the back. It makes it easy to switch out options.



These are my go-to activities that are almost always up. Sometimes, though, I take down VersaTiles depending on how quiet I want to keep it, such as for tests. Other things I may put up are Beat The Clock (to practice math facts), flash cards, acrostic poems (I give them a word), ABC lists (I give them a topic), and probably some others I can't think of right now. My kids know that drawing is never an option, though they sometimes like to see if I've forgotten my own rule.

Now I'm Done is a drawer where I put fun (and usually educational) worksheets. It may have math problems (line designs are popular, and the ones where you solve the problem to determine what color you shade a piece in - I don't remember what they're called), creative writing, using dictionaries, patterns, word searches, etc. Basically, whatever I can find. I don't give bonus points; I don't even check them. Students turn them in to the inbox so I can see what they've done, then I send them right back home with them.


8 comments:

  1. Because the admin of this web page is working, no uncertainty very
    quickly it will be famous, due to its feature
    contents.
    Here is my website ... green coffee bean supplements in Canada

    ReplyDelete
  2. given article is very helpful and very useful for my admin, and pardon me permission to share articles here hopefully helped Obat darah tinggi ampuh

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are many packers and movers in Hyderabad who are looking for ways to make easy money from innocent families and individuals like you who are planning to relocate. Such packers and movers Hyd may either provide extremely bad service and end up damaging your goods permanently, or disappear with your entire household items instead of delivering them to the destination. Hence, the most crucial step before you hire any movers packers in Hyderabad is to verify their authenticity and check if they capable of providing good quality services.

    Movers and Packers Hyderabad
    Movers and Packers in Kondapur
    Movers and Packers in Gachibowli
    Movers and Packers in Kukatpally
    Movers and Packers in Chanda Nagar
    Movers and Packers in Manikonda

    ReplyDelete

  4. Many packers and movers Hyderabad, Telangana may boast about offering a huge list of services with little to no skill or expertise to carry out those services as required. You need to check with every packer and mover if they have the experience to fulfil your specific requirements properly, and will complete your relocation in the most cost-effective way possible.There are many packers and movers in Hyderabad who are looking for ways to make easy money from innocent families and individuals like you who are planning to relocate. Such packers and movers Hyd may either provide extremely bad service and end up damaging your goods permanently, or disappear with your entire household items instead of delivering them to the destination. Hence, the most crucial step before you hire any movers packers in Hyderabad is to verify their authenticity and check if they capable of providing good quality services.

    Packers and Movers in Hyderabad
    Packers and Movers in Jubilee Hills
    Packers and Movers in Banjara Hills
    Packers and Movers in Kondapur
    Packers and Movers in Madhapur
    Packers and Movers in Gachibowli
    Packers and Movers in Chanda Nagar

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome to Indian Packers and Movers in Mumbai, We have a realistic team of professionals in Moving & Packing, Loading & Unloading and Transportation of your expensive goods with care. Packers and Movers in Mumbai goes behind the intercontinental principles which give surety that the goods are relocates carefully without any smash up. We at, Packers and Movers in Mumbai has experienced employees to take care of your goods in Packing and Moving Services in Mumbai.
    Packers and Movers in Mumbai
    Packers and Movers in Dadar
    Packers and Movers in Thane
    Packers and Movers in Panvel

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is my great pleasure to visit your website and to enjoy your excellent post here. @ Packers and Movers Ahmedabad
    Packers And Movers Surat

    ReplyDelete