Saturday, March 10, 2012

Weekly Challenge

A few weeks ago I started a "Weekly Challenge" in my room. A little late in the year, sure, but oh well.


Each Monday, I post a new challenge, usually math related, and students have until Friday morning to take a guess. I make extra copies of worksheets so students can work at their desk (unless it's an estimation problem). I cut index cards into thirds, and that's where I have them write their name and answer. Once they have a guess, they put their answer in an old tissue box.


Some of the challenges I make myself, some I've found online, and some are just logic worksheets.


On Friday, I take out all the wrong answers and draw one winner from among the right answers. If it was estimation, I choose the closest answer. The winner gets something small as a prize, such as a mechanical pencil, eraser, homework pass, or small toy (play-dough, mini-slinky). When I did the goldfish estimation, the prize was the goldfish.

I put together some of my challenges into a PDF, as it's listed for free at Teachers Pay Teachers. You can download it by clicking here and going to the website.

6 comments:

  1. Jackie,
    I dropped by your TpT store and picked up several of your great freebies including your Weekly Challenge! I am now following your blog as well as your store. I would love to return the favor by having you drop by my TpT store and grabbing some freebies for yourself! Here is a link to my store:
    http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/A-Series-Of-3rd-Grade-Events/

    I would also love to have you drop by my blog so we can share ideas!

    Patti :)
    http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/A-Series-Of-3rd-Grade-Events/

    ReplyDelete